On 4/2/2018 6:59 AM, Gorka Eguileor wrote:
I can only see one benefit from implementing this feature in Cinder
versus doing it in Nova, and that is that we can preserve the volume's
UUID, but I don't think this is even relevant for this use case, so why
is it better to implement this in Cinder than in Nova?

With a new image, the volume_image_metadata in the volume would also be wrong, and I don't think nova should (or even can) update that information. So nova re-imaging the volume doesn't seem like a good fit to me given Cinder "owns" the volume along with any metadata about it.

If Cinder isn't agreeable to this new re-image API, then I think we're stuck with the original proposal of creating a new volume and swapping out the root disk, along with all of the problems that can arise from that (original volume type is gone, tenant goes over-quota, what do we do with the original volume (delete it?), etc).

Matt