On 23/09/16 02:19, Amrith Kumar wrote:
> Joshua,
>
> I think Steve and you may be missing the point of my email. It *IS* because I
> want to be open and inviting that I even asked the question, and what I'm
> asking for is how to deal with it.
>
> All Steve says is " The fact that a new-to-openstack contributor would make
> such and error doesn’t warrant such a negative response even if it a hassle
> for the various PTLs and core reviewer teams to deal with".
>
> I'm not proposing a negative response, I'm asking how to deal with it.
>
> What, for example, does one do if a patch is proposed virtually identically
> in a half dozen (or two dozen) projects by someone and is totally bat-shit
> crazy? Merely -1'ing it and offering to help in a private email is not really
> the answer. I've tried it.

We all have. And we keep doing it. And doing it again.

> Having a file in the projects repo that talks about guidelines for
> contributions isn't it either. We have one of those. It is up to the
> contributor to read it; yes, I can keep pointing contributors to that but
> this is a systemic problem which I'm hoping to address.

It's only systemic in the sense that it's standard human behaviour. And I doubt
you'll be able to fix that with some automation.

> What does one do when a contributor continually proposes one line changes
> that fix typos in comments (yes, really). At some point, these changes (while
> absolutely, and unarguably valid) begin to be a drag on the community.

Coach. Train. Communicate.

> What I'm asking for is something, something that may cross project
> boundaries, that will help bring contributors onto openstack, and rapidly
> bring them to the point where they are contributing at a level that
> materially benefits the project(s).
>
> -amrith

Sounds like you're looking for a technical solution to a social problem.

You're the PTL. Make sure there's good documentation about expected behaviours,
point to it when you decline a patch, and always be available for mentoring and
coaching. Yes, you will teach people the 101 version of contributing a million
times over, and you'll repeat yourself ad nauseum, often to the same people.
It's called leadership.

If you have a truly toxic person in your midst (hint: these are rarely
newcomers, you don't discover these people straight away, I've found), *then*
you can do something to remove them from your community. Here's a good place to
start: https://hypatia.ca/2016/06/21/no-more-rock-stars/

No one said leadership was easy.

Lana Brindley
Technical Writer