On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 11:56 AM, Eliot Lear <l...@cisco.com> wrote:

> Hi EKR,
>

> On 18.05.18 19:57, Eric Rescorla wrote:
> > Eliot, > > The certificate part seems basically right (I think you
> should require specific KeyUsage bits).
> It's in there:
>
> It is expected that the Key Usage extension would contain "Digital
> Signature" and that the extended key usage would include either "code
> signing" or "email protection".
>

> This leaves a little a little flexibility.  I think this is sufficient,
> and compatible with existing CAs.

I disagree. This is going to lead to a lot of interop problems. You need to
actually specify the bits

> > Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see anything about the level of trust
you should have in cases where you can't reliably tie the endpoint's
transmissions to its certificate.
It's there but could be clearer:

OLD:

MUD manager MUST cease processing of that file it cannot validate the
chain of trust to a known trust anchor until an administrator has
given approval.

NEW:

MUD manager MUST cease processing of that file it cannot validate the
chain of trust to a known trust anchor or the MUDsigner until an
administrator has
given approval.

That is- throw an exception and let the admin sort it out.

This is about the file. I'm talking about IP/MAC forgery.

-Ekr