Marie-Michèle, Hietzo,

Marie-Michèle wrote:
> I haven't yet found a dance with a strong younger core where
male-presenting people almost all dance one role and female-presenting
people almost all dance the other, no matter what role names they use.

Hietzo, do the rural Georgia dances with strong younger participation fit
this description?

Thanks,

--jh--

On Wed, Nov 8, 2023 at 11:15 AM Marie-Michèle Fournier via Organizers <
organizers@lists.sharedweight.net> wrote:

> I took over as main organiser in Montreal when I was in my late 30s and
> the people who decided to join the organizing committee after that were all
> my age or younger except one. Gradually after that, our age average became
> younger and younger, however part of that is unfortunately because we lost
> several older dancers. I don't know exactly what it is we did that made
> older dancers less likely to come back and younger dancers more likely to,
> except for being very strongly non-gendered, even before we switched to
> Larks and Robins after the pandemic. But I can tell you that I haven't yet
> found a dance with a strong younger core where male-presenting people
> almost all dance one role and female-presenting people almost all dance the
> other, no matter what role names they use.
> Marie-Michèle, Montréal, Québec, Canada
>
> On Wed, Nov 8, 2023 at 9:58 AM Joe Harrington via Organizers <
> organizers@lists.sharedweight.net> wrote:
>
>> Is Will Loving in the house?  Or anyone from the Amherst, MA, Wednesday
>> night contra?  He was the ONLY person on the board over 30 in the years
>> after he founded it, and it was largely a college/post-college crowd, the
>> few times I was privileged to attend.  He told me that was his formula.
>> Maybe he can give details. This was in the mid-2010s, I think.
>>
>> To me, there is a big difference between events run by and for younger
>> dancers and broad community events with a predominantly older crowd trying
>> to make up for our lame recruiting/retention efforts a few decades back, so
>> we can keep our dances from dying as we age out, or to bring some energy
>> into them, or out of some principle of inclusion. Or whatever our real
>> reasons are for focusing so heavily on recruiting younger dancers (which,
>> guilty, I do for their energy).
>>
>> --jh--
>>

>> On Wed, Nov 8, 2023 at 9:27 AM Chrissy Fowler via Organizers <
>> organizers@lists.sharedweight.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks Dana, for this reframing of the conversation! Shakes things up a
>>> bit in my mind. Love it.
>>>
>>> In Belfast ME, where our demographics have skewed toward a majority of
>>> dancers in teens-early 30s, we recruited board members in that age range
>>> because they already were the majority. (See
>>> https://www.belfastflyingshoes.org/board-of-directors)
>>>
>>> I’m curious what other organizers have experienced when they recruited
>>> people in teens/20s in order to increase that demographic among their
>>> dancers.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Chrissy Fowler
>>> Belfast ME