Joe,

The young (under 30) Sautee Nacoochee contra dancers tend to dance as gendered (not sure of my terminology) Switching roles doesn't happen much there so it's something that would tend to throw them. I enjoy switching on every swing with partner and, at Sautee, I tend to avoid that because
    - my partner is likely not used to it (I ask first)
    - high percentage of beginners come and I don't want to confuse them (w/ vast majority dancing trad roles).
So, while I've done that at Sautee, it would be after the break and
with a partner who was comfortable with switching up.

Probably more switching at Riverfalls Lodge (SC), but I haven't danced there in awhile. RFL used to be where all the hot college aged Asheville dancers went to dance
and they would have been comfortable crossing up dance roles, though not
anywhere near the extent of, say, the Contracopia dancers in Philly.
Comfortable means not a big deal to switch up roles.
But, contrast w/ Philly Contracopia where maybe 20% cross role dancing at any time.

I haven't danced at OFB (near Asheville, NC, so not rural Georgia) since before covid.
College where OFB dances is liberal.
I don't know what the current pattern is. I assume a little more comfortable/likely
to cross dance than RFL.

Joe, you know my wife, Jennifer Horrocks. Welcome to ask her or
have me reach out to SNCA or RFL organizers or friends we know who
regularly dance at OFB.  This weekend is the Atlanta dance weekend.
I could ask around if you'd like for a more nuanced reply.

-Heitzso

Marie-Michèle, Hietzo,

Marie-Michèle wrote:
> I haven't yet found a dance with a strong younger core where male-presenting people almost all dance one role and female-presenting people almost all dance the other, no matter what role names they use.

Hietzo, do the rural Georgia dances with strong younger participation fit this description?

Thanks,

--jh--