I'm coming in late to this discussion with a thought from the Form the
Ocean dance weekend in 2019. They held a community discussion at that
weekend structured around the idea of starting at "Point D." As in, with
big conversations in our communities, we so often churn round and round on
points A, B, C: "how do we get more diversity?? we're so [white/old/middle
class/etc]! but we need diversity!"

What if, instead, we started at point D and bypassed those first few
questions that we always start with?

I would suggest that Point D for this conversation about young dancers
might be:
*"Our dance *already has* age diversity. How shall we be with the people
already in the room?"*
rather than scrambling to say "we need morrrrrrrrre young dancers!"

I'm 36, an in-between sort of age in the contra dance world. I started
dancing 19 years ago, when I was 17. I absolutely started dancing because
it was a place to hang out with my friends. And, I could tell which adults
would talk to me like I was a fellow dancer, and which ones talked to me
like I was a Young Person. I still have friendships with the ones who
treated me like a person to this day.

Get to know your young dancers like you would get to know anyone else you
don't know yet! Don't be overbearing! Be friendly, ask them to dance, learn
about their lives, but also leave them alone to do their own thing and hang
with their friends. Treat them like humans and not A Class of People We
Need for Diversity. People can tell when they're being tokenized.

(My friend group and I had an experience about 4-5 years ago at our local
English dance where the dance organizers/regulars practically *pounced* on
us as we walked in the door and were like "wow! young people! so nice to
have young people! can we give you a discount? will you come back again?
will you bring your friends?" and we were like "...um we're just here to
English dance?" It was very off-putting and made us LESS likely to come
back again!)

I also have lots of thoughts about fostering a culture of consent,
non-gendered role terms, young people on your organizing committee, etc,
but I'll save them for another day!

Thanks,
Dana

On Sun, Oct 29, 2023 at 10:55 AM Sandy Seiler via Organizers <
organizers@lists.sharedweight.net> wrote:

> Our community, like many others, has fewer young dancers than we would
> like.  I am wondering how different factors influence that and what we can
> do.
>
> Does the night of the week matter?  We dance on a Saturday night.  Would
> Friday be better?
>
> Does frequency matter?  We dance once a month?
>
> Does location matter?  We have a college (University of Kansas KU)  Would
> a dance location closer to or on campus matter?
>
> Are outreach strategies effective and what has your community found
> successful?
>
> Thanks,
> Sandy Seiler
> Lawrence, Kansas