Thanks, Robert -- Unfortunately, this change had no effect.

Maybe another avenue of attack might be to add DEBUG_INFO messages to
osgText to display components that contribute to the final size of
SCREEN-aligned glyphs? Then we could compare my DEBUG_INFO output against
yours to see if that sheds any light?
   -Paul