HI Andreas,

As Serge suggested, it might just be far more productive to use the
OSG's built in database paging support.  All you need to do is
decorate your subgraphs with a osg::PagedLOD or osg::ProxyNode, with
osg::PagedLOD being the method of choice as it'll do load balancing
for you - both loading new tiles on demand and deleting ones that are
no longer required, all automatically done by
osgDB::DatabasePager/osgViewer.

Robert.