Hi all,

Integration of physics simulation into OSG has been done many times, but OSG
still don't have a common layer to plug physics engines in. The project
osgPhysics is born from this idea and will be that layer, as discussed before
on osg-users mailing list.

OsgPhysics started a few weeks ago, and is still in a planning/pre-alpha state.
However, we clearly have the intention to integrate osgPhysics into core OSG,
by providing an extensible layer that would accept any physics engine, by the
way of plugins. This is why efforts should be concentrated on it, rather than
on specific solutions.

We will mainly support the PAL engine ( http://www.adrianboeing.com/pal/ ),
since PAL is only an abstraction layer for some popular engines (PhysX, Bullet,
ODE, Newton, Tokamak, TrueAxis and more). This way, you may use your favorite
engine without having much to do... We also may contribute to the PAL project
so that PAL fits our goals.
Native support of engines would still be possible as osgPhysics is "engine
agnostic".

Project is (for now) located on SourceForge.net (
http://sourceforge.net/projects/osgphysics ), and already includes and example.
Be aware that only PAL engine is supported for now. So if you want to use ODE
(for instance), you'll have to build ODE, PAL, and osgPhysics.

Current authors are Wang Rui and Sukender.
Feel free to join and/or discuss the project (please use "[osgPhysics]" tag)!
We're waiting for your ideas and comments.

Cheers!

Wang Rui and Sukender, osgPhysics admins