Hi Paul,

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 2:08 PM, Paul Melis <p...@science.uva.nl> wrote:
>> I am rather wary of using instigating a bug tracking system as
>> sometimes they can be misused for feature request, and can create a
>> barrier in direct communication.  I got burned by bug tracking systems
>> in the past, where is caused far more work than it helped so have
>> avoided them since.  The Ticket system may well avoid the pitfalls.
>>

> It seems the things you describe above are mostly social problems, e.g.
> users putting large amounts of feature requests in a system meant for
> tracking bugs. This might be out of lack of experience with software
> development (not being able to recognize when something is a bug), lack of
> OpenGL experience (thinking OSG screws up while the user is misusing OpenGL)
> or just plain ignorance.

My experiences were from nearly 10 years ago now..  But issues are the
same.  Fixing bugs is very much a social activity, in as much as it's
the fixing bugs almost always requires a two way dialogue between the
people able to reproduce the bug and those engaged in try to fix it.
Facilitating the two way dialogue is absolutely the most important
part of any bug resolution scheme - which is why I've always focused
on osg-users as the route for bug resolution.

> There may be some social solution to these, such as not allowing just
> everyone to enter tickets, but only a small number of experienced OSG users
> that can validate each requests/bugs merits (after these get posted to
> osg-users, or even a dedicated list). That way the advantages of having a
> central bug list are not lost. Currently, I think there isn't anybody (not
> even Robert) that has a complete overview of all outstanding issues with
> OSG. Having them in a central location for everybody to see might not
> immediately help them get resolved, but my feeling is that NOT having a
> central list isn't helping in that respect.

I can certainly see value in having a properly maintained issue
tracking system, but this requires active management which in turn
means that it takes time to engage in - time that could be spent
actually fixing bugs.  One only gains once such as system helps
resolve more bugs than would have otherwise been fixed.

Learning an maintaining a new system is something takes time for me
and others in the community.  Perhaps after 2.8 is out the door we can
properly explore this possibility.