> > ATI and Intel two special cases of poor OpenGL support?  We'll that
> > only leaves one mainstream vendor that provides acceptable OpenGL
> > drives, and it make it the exception to the rule - so
> surely NVidia is
> > the special case here, not ATI and Intel.
>
> Please actually read my arguments instead of just focusing on
> the wording. You can't refute the fact that Intel's hardware
> is not really 3D "accelerators", rather "decelerators" and
> that is in both Direct3D and OpenGL. So that dismisses one
> case right there, we're left with NVidia and ATI.

I can refute the "fact" that Intel's hardware is not really 3D
"accelerators". I'm currently developing an embedded product that uses
OSG on an Intel 945 chipset. It is certainly not a decelerator. Sure its
fill-rate isn't great ( but it is better than the CPU could do ) but it
is adequate for my purposes. Other chipsets ( X3100 and later ) are even
more capable.
Interestingly the OpenGL driver for this chipset is far far better on
Linux than on Windows. I suspect the Open Source driver is responsible
for this.

Interesting about the stats though. I'm one of those people who skews
the statistics. I do 90% of development on Linux and 90% of browsing (
including openscenegraph.org a fair amount ) on Windows. Linux screen
space is valuable...

Colin.