Hi Paul,

Right, that is what I originally suspected. So is there any point to the debug packages *in their current form*?

Yes, they allow you to compile your own project in debug mode. They don't allow you to debug into the OSG itself, but otherwise they're required to get your own apps to compile and run in debug mode at all.

As 2.8.2 is probably released pretty soon it might be a good point in time to fix this?

I'm not sure what the pdb files were not included (or the debug info was not embedded into the DLLs), but I would expect someone interested in debugging into OSG would have no problem compiling OSG themselves... If they want to debug into it, it's probable that they'll need to make a fix somewhere... And compiling OSG is pretty painless nowadays.

But yes, we could either embed debug info or provide the pdb files (perhaps as a separate download for people who need it).

Is there any way to test for a given dll if there is debug information in it, e.g. with some MSVC tool?

The only way I've seen is when debugging the app in Visual Studio it will say in the output window "<dll name> (no debug information)" or something like that. Then if you want to load the pdb file manually if you have it, you can go to the Modules window, right-click on the DLL and click "Load Symbols". Same thing when you're stopped at a breakpoint, in the Call Stack window you can right-click on the grayed out lines and click "Load Symbols".

I don't know of a standalone tool that will tell you if a DLL contains debug info.

J-S