Hi Chris,

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 7:45 PM, Chris 'Xenon' Hanson
<xe...@alphapixel.com> wrote:
>  It seems like we don't have any capacity in this regard right now. I'll
> shorten the
> question -- other than Robert, who does have SVN commit access?

As J.S. mentions a number of engineers have commit rights on the
branches to help out with convergance towards and maintenance of
release branches.  However, only Paul Martz has really contributed
significantly in that area, with Paul managing all the work required
for the 2.6.1 stable release.  I haven't had any assistance on the
other stable releases though, so while others have commit access, it's
a pretty dormant right.  In the end I'm still the one pushing stable
releases and doing the bulk their maintenance, if I wasn't doing it it
does look like it would rarely get done.

For svn/trunk I have stuck to a policy of retaining overall control,
but have granted write access to specific areas where I have little
expertise - Cedric Pinson is developing/maintaining osgAnimation
include and src directories and Stephan Huber is maintaining the XCode
directory.  I think Brede Johansan and Paul Martz has write access to
the OpenFlight plugin too.

>  Historically, one of my roles in the OSG community has been to point out the
> "emperor
> has no clothes" moments when we finally acknowledge we're again putting too
> much
> responsibility onto Robert, and call for new ways to shave some non-critical
> roles off his
> shoulders.

I've done cry for helps and got it in the past.  Moving out
responsibility for rolling out releases and maintaining them to the
community is something we tried, with the hope that I would be able to
concentrate more on svn/trunk management and less on releases.
However, as I said above it's only been partially successful, I've
done all the releases save for one point release.

>  I'm wondering if Robert's request for outside assistance here is the time
> for some of
> the community to step up to the plate and contribute more effort to the
> administration of
> the project's source.

I think the last three months has been a rather unusual hiatus in the
normal flow of merging submissions and making of dev releases.
Normally I attempt to keep on top of submissions and keep the dev and
stable release pumping out regularly.  I've been particular busy with
client work over the the last two years (almost all open sourced :-)
but even with this I've put in the extra hours to keep ontop of
everything.

What I have found is that trying to juggle all these tasks has made me
less efficient  - multi-tasking isn't good for once intellectual
abilities and code development/project management requires the
application of ones intellect and isn't forgiving of off days.  So if
you're less efficient then you have to put more hours in, and the
hours you do put in are more stressed because you live under the
knowledge that you got so much other work to juggle.  A good recipe
for burn out, and since the summer rather than keep juggling I've just
taken my foot off the peddle and looked to concentrate on a smaller
number of tasks at any one time.  I'm certainly more productive on
these tasks and despite still working hard on the tasks am all around
fresher and sharper ;-)

The problem with me choosing less to multi-tasks and let some tasks
slip till later is that period of patience required from the community
has to have gone up - with no choice of their own.  This isn't healthy
for the community or the software.  I'm keenly aware of this, and
having been looking for windows between client tasks to get on tackle
the submissions backlog and back to making dev releases and stable
releases.  Unfortunately in the last few month the client tasks have
just come in right after other with space in between, it's just been
one of those periods.  Normally I'd get a couple of weeks of less
intensity between bigger tasks, but just haven't got them.  Another
difference is that rather than try to make the difference by putting
in 12 hour days, I've just put in my 8 hours and taken it easy.
However, there is light at the end of the tunnel, it does look like
I'll finally have a reprieve in Novemeber once OpenGL ES 2.0 support
is done.

Business wise I'll have hit my targets in November for the financial
year that ends in March 2010, and plan to take it easier w.r.t client
work.  There is lots I need to do in terms of catching up with
submissions, getting stable releases of OSG and VPB out the door, and
also investing some time into the source code base to tackle various
issues that I haven't had the opportunity to address over the years.
It's quite a long time since I've been able to spend some real quality
time just hacking on general code and being really forward looking, so
I'm rather looking forward to it ;-)