Hi Chris,

On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 4:26 PM, Chris 'Xenon' Hanson
<xe...@alphapixel.com> wrote:
>  I feel for your situation. I'm not very fond of getting torn between coding
> and the
> other side of business. I'd much rather code.

Curiously I'm torn between coding and coding, just that one side is
client focused and the other is community focused.  I'm lucky to be in
the job/role that I do that both sides I'm working on open source code
that we all get to benefit from ;-)

>  Well, the question still stands -- do you want to pursue a more distributed
> code
> submission review, acceptance and commit process, even if you are aiming to
> reduce your
> own work overcommit?

Reviewing submissions is a double edge sword, as without keeping tabs
on what is happening with the code I'm in poorer position to do
support and fix bugs.  Reviewing submissions is actually it's not the
most burdensome side of my work as project lead.  Driving releases
forward and ongoing maintenance is a burden that takes big blocks of
my time, and is not something I can do on a drop feed basis like I can
with general submissions.

The idea of have a range of engineers  to have write access to
branches and with the ability to taken the driving seat with making
stable releases is something we discussed and put into place around a
year ago.  Alas apart from Paul Mart'z 2.6.1 release there hasn't been
any impetus from the community to drive this forward.  The key point
is that I was trying to step back from having to be the impetus behind
releases and to allow others to take the reigns.

You are welcome to step up to the plate and help out with driving
releases, we can get you write permission to the branches section of
the wiki - we just need Jose Luis to add permission for you.

In terms of write access to svn/trunk this is only I think is most
appropriate for specific areas of the code base that become a
particular or group of persons responsibility and take ownership of.
For a release it's a bit different as the person driving is taking
responsibility for the whole release.  Whereas just granting general
svn/trunk write access means that we'll have multiple people dabbling
all over the code base with no one single person taking responsibility
for it. Knowing that you are directly responsible for something makes
you think twice about what you do and makes you strive harder to fix
it when it breaks.

I am also concerned about the evolution of the code base, if you have
multiple people with write access it can potentially start drifting
apart in different ways, and holding a cohesive whole could become
more difficult.  Even highly experienced and talented engineers will
disagree on stuff, will take different routes to solve the same
problem.  I often make decisions on submissions that have a whole
history of the life the OSG and where I see it going next.  I might
have vocalised my thoughts on the wiki or on email discussions on the
list, but is such a disparate collection of threads and influences
that it's impossible to track things in a way that you'll know what to
do to be in keeping with what I do in the same case.  Even what seems
to be a benign submissions can trigger me to go refactor a part of the
OSG due to an wider issue it raises, or spot a bug or a potential
cross platform issue.   Others engineers will spot different bugs from
me too, but typically it'll be much more focused in scope to the code
in hand as they won't have the some OSG code base perspective that I
do, doing sweeping refactors like I do from time to time isn't that I
would expect others to do or wish to do - even when it'd be the most
appropriate thing to do.  For these reasons I'm more inclined to
believe that having a single gate keeper of the source is far more of
an asset that it is a bottleneck.