To: "OpenSceneGraph Users" <osg-users@lists.openscenegraph.org>
Sent: Friday, March 05, 2010 5:45 PM
Subject: [osg-users] Shadows and negative renderbin?

Hi all,

I was wondering if someone has had problems with objects which are in negative-numbered renderbins with shadows (in my case, osgShadow::LightSpacePerspectiveShadowMapVB).

I had set up my skydome in renderbin -100 to make really sure it was rendered before other things, and set its node mask so it would not be included in shadow traversal - setNodeMask(getNodeMask() & ~CAST_SHADOW & ~RECEIVE_SHADOW) but for some reason it seems like it was still being used for the bounds of the shadow map, because shadows did not show up on near objects and were very aliased far out. I isolated the problem to the renderbin setting, and setting it to a positive value fixed the problem - the skydome is not considered at all for the shadows now.

I'm surprised the renderbin would have any effect. I haven't delved into the code but if someone (Wojtek? :-) ) could explain this or provide some pointers I would appreciate...

Thanks in advance,

J-S