Chris Chan wrote:

Hi, They aren't all exactly the same,but each one is a copy of one in a palette of less than 500 "protoype" meshes.

You mentioned that you don't want to rely on hardware instanced rendering. Does that mean you also don't want to rely on geometry shaders? Not sure if it's totally feasible, but your commend about "prototype" meshes made me think of using a geometry shader to look up vertices/indices from texture memory in a geometry shader and emit primitives from there. Input would just be the transform and the index of the "prototype mesh".

Just a thought. I haven't completely thought it through, so it might not work.

--"J"