From: osg-users-boun...@lists.openscenegraph.org
[mailto:osg-users-boun...@lists.openscenegraph.org] On Behalf Of Don
Tidrow
Sent: Wednesday, June 02, 2010 10:54 PM
To: OpenSceneGraph Users
Subject: Re: [osg-users] Compilation Process of OSG Programs & IDE
Questions forOSG

On Wed, 2010-06-02 at 12:02 -0400, Jason Daly wrote:
> Carlo del Mundo wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have successfully installed and played around with numerous OSG
examples which leads me to a number of questions:

> > * CMake is used for installing OSG from source.  Is CMake
exclusively used to compile OSG programs (.cpp source files)? According
to the QuickStartGuide, I succesfully used g++ to compile a .cpp file
into binary code and ran it fine there.  My question: do we use CMake
other than compiling OSG source?

> CMake is required to compile the OSG libraries from source.
>
> You can also use CMake for your own code (it can certainly be useful
if
> you want to write cross-platform code), but it's not necessary.
>

> > * I moved from a Windows VC++ 2008 environment to a linux
environment.  What is the preferred IDE/Software used to create OSG
programs? I can't imagine anyone writing code using terminal
exclusively.

> Personally, all I use is vi for editing, gcc and scons for compiling ,

> and gdb for debugging.  My favorite IDE is a command line.  A lot of
> people work quite efficiently this way.
>
> However, there are a number of IDE's out there that work in Linux.
> Eclipse and NetBeans are two of the more popular free IDE's.

Emacs - the _original_ IDE  ;-)

Don