From: osg-users-boun...@lists.openscenegraph.org
[mailto:osg-users-boun...@lists.openscenegraph.org] On Behalf Of Ethan
Fahy
Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2012 9:09 AM
To: osg-users@lists.openscenegraph.org
Subject: Re: [osg-users] [vpb] Any way to build terrain complex with
DEMdata and then add different textures after?

Thanks Chris,

I actually compile osgEarth and osgGIS last week and played around with
them a bit thinking I may go in that direction.  I was having trouble
getting the vpb driver to work properly and the osgEarth vpb driver page
even says:
"If at all possible, you should run osgEarth against the original source
data instead of using this driver. You will get better performance with
suffer fewer headaches. "
Are you suggesting replacing VPB with osgEarth entirely for my needs vs
generating a VPB terrain file and combining it with osgEarth?

Chris 'Xenon' Hanson wrote:
> On 2/1/2012 7:02 AM, Ethan Fahy wrote:
>
> > I had been building terrain complexes using osgdem using both the -d
and -t flags to combine elevation and textures.  This works great when I
have relatively low resolution.  I am now running into scenarios where I
am using 1 meter lidar elevation data and want the maximum number of
levels.  This takes hours to generate, but I may be looking at the same
area over and over.  However, the texture that I wrap onto that same are
will be changing.  Do I need to run osgdem for each texture?  As far as
I can see in the documentation there isn't any way to add texture to an
existing osgdem-generated terrain complex; am I wrong?  I know that for
each level, osgdem is breaking up the original texture and doing level
of detail wrappings for it, so maybe it is impossible.  I may end up
digging into the source code for osgdem to see what can be done but
wanted to pose this question to the forum to see if anyone has any ideas
about whether this can be done already or how feasible it is

> > do this by changing the existing source code.  Thanks!
> >

> One word: osgEarth. http://osgearth.org/
>
> It can drape new imagery onto VPB-built terrain models, or can just
build the terrain
> models on the fly with whatever imagery you want.
>
> If you want pre-compiled binaries, they're available through my
company's support program.

> --
> Chris 'Xenon' Hanson, omo sanza lettere.  http://www.alphapixel.com/
> Digital Imaging. OpenGL. Scene Graphs. GIS. GPS. Training. Consulting.
Contracting.
> "There is no Truth. There is only Perception. To Perceive is to
Exist." - Xen