First, it is not my intention to offend the creators of the current help
system, or to suggest they made bad decisions or something like that. I just
have a different vision that I want to explain.

My line of thought goes something like this: if you want to get a really
extensive documentation, nobody is going to manage to do this on their own, or
even with a few people. (A lot of kudo's to Jordi for doing all this work so
far on the current help sections). To document something big like OSG
extensively, the community needs to get involved. Then basically the system
that you use to accommodate this can be seen as a social medium. And with
social media, the exact details of how a social medium works, feels and looks
are really important (just read any research on social media if you don't
believe me). Therefore the choice between Joomla and Wiki or another system
might be more important that some of you suggest, even if technically they have
similar functionality.

I don't know much of the details about the psychology of this all, but somehow,
the system of wiki has proven itself over and over again. There seems to be
something about it that allows community to build good and thorough
documentation. I've seen it so often, that I'm kinda surprised by how negative
you all react to the idea, like I'm suggesting something really weird. I could
name many examples of excellent wiki's for many well known projects and games
and what not, but I'll spare you the list...
This is by the way the first time I ever suggest a wiki, or work with wiki's
myself, so I'm not some kind of weird wiki supporter if you might think that :)

I haven't worked with Joomla much, but I did program some exporters for it
once, and I have a decent idea of how it works. For the purpose of a community
build documentation it might be a bit too complex and I believe it is designed
more for webmasters than for communities. Wiki's are a bit more simplistic and
quicker to edit if I'm correct. Wiki pages are probably also easier to generate
so that a good structure can be created that would accommodate guides and
tutorials as well as in depth details of classes and functions (information
that I, for example, would feel confident adding if I learn something specific
about a class or function).

Regarding you comment about finding documentation, the documentation button on
the main page could link to the separate documentation system. Then all
documentation could be placed there, in a single location. I think that would
actually make it easier for people to find what they are looking for. It's
really not uncommon to have a few separate sections for stuff like main pages,
documentation and forums.

I don't really agree that it is necessarily better to keep going with the
current system. The more you add to it, the harder it will be to migrate to
another system in the future.

But I'm not here to push my ideas on to you. I'm not a developer of OSG and
whatever you decide I'm fine with. I just try to explain my vision on it as
good as I can, and then I'll shut up about it...