Hi Remoe
You haven't search deep enough for OSG_VERTEX_BUFFER_HINT environment variable
https://github.com/openscenegraph/OpenSceneGraph/compare/vertex_array_object
src/osg/DisplaySettings.cpp 684
src/osg/state.cpp l179

And under MacOS I think you should use osgsimplegl3 example as base code for
testing. AFAIK it's the simpliest way to work with a core profile.