robertosfield wrote:

> I don't have a problem with video tutorial's, but as you say if API's change
> then videos need to be re-shot, but then other resources have to be redone
> anyway.  If one can make vidoes in a lightweight way then the cost of videos
> might not be too high.

The problem I have with video tutorials is that it is hard to keep quality
consistent. This is a problem if the tutorials should be a community effort.
This should not be seen as criticism of Michael Kapelko's tutorials. But I do
not see how the community could build consistent video tutorials together.
Another problem is that videos are next to impossible to change. Minor changes
might be edited out, but often the videos would have to be re-recorded if the
API changed or if someone found a bug.

In this aspect text is a much better format. It is easily editable and can be
stored and diffed using a version control system. There may be language
differences between tutorials created by different authors, but that difference
is much more subtle compared to having videos narrated by different persons.

I have started experimenting with a OpenSceneGraph-Tutorials repository at
home. So far I have made s quick draft of a table of contents, written a first
tutorial and written the relevant CMakeLists to compile the tutorials. I
started using markdown, but then I switched to Markdeep:
https://casual-effects.com/markdeep/

Markdeep have better support for syntax coloring, diagrams etc. It can even be
used to generate PDFs with acceptable pagination. Another benefit of Markdeep
is that the content can be viewed locally since the only thing that is needed
is a browser with decent javascript support.

Before I push this to a public repo I will write a couple of more tutorials
just to see that the technology scales to a larger set of tutorials. For
example, I still have not decided if the tutorials should be available as
multipage (one tutorial per page) or single page (all tutorials in one page).
The benefits of having a single page design is that you can easily print the
document.

Regards,
Björn