Thanks all. I will think on these examples often in the future, I also always think on the User’s Guide from Harrison (and often review the bit on Space Invaders because I think it captures something essential about Open Space facilitation).

A few additional thoughts I find there:

* I try to remember a Space Invader often tries to control the space (and close it for others) because of their own great passion and sense of responsibility. A space invader’s passion usually manifests in something that works against the law of mobility/2 feet in some way. The examples Micheal and others gave of someone announcing the Open Space can stop now while everyone considers/accepts their priorities is a a pretty obvious Space Invader attempting to suspend the law of mobility out of passion for the topic and their "answer". When I have encountered "space invaders" it helps me think openly(compassionately?) about them when I remember that most Space Invaders aren’t trying to destroy. They are trying to "build". We invited, welcomed and celebrated their passion, but it’s manifesting right now in a way that closes the space.

(And now, I also find space invaders when I’m "riding the wave" outside of an open space event. If everything is open space, then I’m not surprised to sometimes meet space invaders anywhere. This thinking on Space Invaders helps me. When I’m responding as my better self, I am able to realise "this is a space invader" and then I can ask myself—and them—about the passion, responsibility and caring driving their actions. I also believe that most mean well, but also I strongly believe some space invaders actually operate—voluntarily or involuntarily—out of passion for spite and malice or mental illness…so I consider best intentions, but I don’t make a blanket statement that I can assume everyone is operating with best intentions—because I have bad experiences with people who simply aren’t for some reason.)

* As a facilitator holding space, while you remind everyone of the principles of open space, many space invaders will realise their passionate (well meaning) actions are closing space and the Space Invader melts away (like in Michael’s example). When that doesn’t happen (after a few reminders) the facilitator calmly walks away. (I find the hard part here is to do this without any hint of passion—aggression — which can unfortunately be my goto stance when I’m not holding space.) That way you use your mobility and demonstrate that the natural law of mobility applies everyone even myself facilitating. As the book says that’s almost always enough to remind everyone else they can use their mobility too.

(I usually use the washroom or take a new refreshing Diet Coke. The fact that I take so many refreshing Diet Cokes usually means I need the washroom anyway. And as I recall, every time I’ve returned to the main space 10 or 15 minutes later the space invasion is over and everyone is working in full-on open space. Online might be trickier but last week I referred to the law of mobility, invited the group to carry on, and asked the co-facilitator who was working with me if she wanted to join me in a break out to work on something we needed to do (she did)—I felt I needed to be explicit that we were leaving so that we could add value elsewhere because as you know when we’re online it may not be noticeable otherwise. And just as I find *in situ*, we returned 10 minutes later to find the space invasion was over and open space had returned. A tool like QiqoChat makes this easier since movement is kinda visible AND simple enough for people to navigate without any facilitator intervention once they know how it works— and I promise Lucas doesn’t give me kickbacks for promoting his tool all the time. ;) )

* The key thing in the User’s Guide for me (and something that taught me a lot about what it means to hold space) is if the participants are still giving space to the invasion at this point, then they *have* in fact followed the pervasive law of mobility and chosen to participate in the invasion. **If the facilitator intervenes at this point, the *facilitator* becomes the *Space Invader*.**

After adding that to the general discussion, because it was very important to me, I have to also think about the current context of this discussion on the OSList.

Having said all that, I want to point out that the discussion of Space Invaders in the User’s Guide comes right after (or is it just before) Harrison’s thoughts on complete disruptions apparently prompted by mental illness or other big external factors. I also have to ask what is the proper response to an outbreak of violence or predatory behaviour? In general, there are some situations where I don’t think the general advice for responding to space invasion would specifically apply.

And then, how can we interpret this in the context of a mailing list which operates publicly on the Internet? (I generally defer to the folks who were here longer than I on that point.) But I still ask: What is the same? And, what are the differences between this list and a "traditional" open space event? What differences actually matter to the way we respond?

I think open space works better when people are open about their positions and beliefs and own them. So I will say that I often find Mark Carmel’s posts to be extremely disruptive. I am often disturbed by them because—whether he means it intentionally or not—I read them as traps inviting, even demanding, interaction but also constructed (whether intentional or not) to be violently provocative in ways that any response triggers more disruption. I don’t feel that these messages are working towards something, they feelthey are intended to tear something a part.

I have considered using my mobility to filter Mark’s mails so I never see them. Or use my will power to just never read them. I’ve considered using my mobility to publicly—or quietly—unsubscribe from this list.

But I have also considered asking Mark if he would set up his own mailing list or forum for these discussions—people can participate in more than one forum and use mobility to choose those discussions. For now, that is not how I understand this list operates and suspect that such a move would be a loss for the list. I do think that’s one potential way to open more space and something I would consider (and not lightly).

I don’t know.

For now I find value in this discussion of open space principles and holding space. I find value in many the other posts. And I feel a responsibility to be here for "open space".

Openly,
Steve