DS9490R yields similar results. This time only a ground short is
observed. Again, this seemed to read fine into a DS9490R using the TMEX
API through LabVIEW.

Looking at the two datasheets, there is no way to avoid device-dependent
code. There need to be three distinct values: temperature,
tctemperature, and tcjctemperature.

The reason for this is that the temperature in bytes 0-1 is formatted
differently in the MSB. See below for summary for temp (DS1825) and
CJC-compensated temp:

Bit / DS1825 / MAX31850
0 - 2^-4 - Fault
1 - 2^-3 - Reserved
2 - 2^-2 - 2^-2
3 - 2^-1 - 2^-1
4 - 2^0 - 2^0
5 - 2^1 - 2^1
6 - 2^2 - 2^2
7 - 2^3 - 2^3

8 - 2^4 - 2^4
9 - 2^5 - 2^5
10 - 2^6 - 2^6
11 - S - 2^7
12 - S - 2^8
13 - S -2^9
14 - S - 2^10
15 - S - S

Thus, you need to know whether you are looking for a value interpreted
as a DS1825 or as a MAX31850. Because they are indistinguishable from
software, you'd just know which one to read. This is the way that I
wrote the routine on the LabVIEW program I wrote using TMEX API. You
just have to know which value to read.

Still, even with this, I cannot match up the value being read with owfs
with either interpretation. A hex dump of the scratchpad, for example,
gives me:

e9 00 f2 0e ff ff ff ff 29

Big endian, LSB MSB
e9 00 = 11101001 11110010

This gives me -14.5625 for a DS1825 and 14.5 for a 31850.

For bytes 2-3:
f2 0e 11110010 00001110

This gives me 14.9375 for a 31850, with a ground short fault.

Values read by owfs are 0.875 for temp and 236 for thermocouple.

So ... should I just read the scratchpad and do my own conversion, or
can someone rewrite this?

Colin