What devices will be needed for the 700MHz network?

At present, I find Telstra’s 4G network around the country nearly works as well
as their 3G network was in the early days. The 3G network is basically unusable
in many locations.

The worst contention I’ve found is around Collins St in Melbourne. It’s not
uncommon to have 5 bars of connectivity and yet to be unable to resolve a DNS
address (let alone connect to a site) from about 7:30AM to around 5:30PM.

I remember discussing this “performance” with the Telstra “support” people. I
was at Brisbane airport and ping times were 3000 ms (yep 3 seconds). He told me
that the system was considered working if:

*         Less than half the packets were lost

*         The packets ever came back (no matter how long the delay was)

Mentioning that my dial-up modem used to have a ping time of 30ms to 100ms fell
on deaf ears. They seem to have enough funds to place huge adverts in the same
airports though, where they endlessly make claims about having a fast network.

The fastest NextG connectivity I’ve had in Australia was on King Island in the
middle of Bass Strait. They have a NextG tower and I suspect that hardly anyone
else was using it.

What does annoy me is how they balance the quality of service settings. I can
have a 4G iPhone sitting beside the 4G USB modem. The phone is still moving
data but the modem isn’t, even though the modem is on a far more expensive data
plan. Clearly they’ve decided that people that can’t use data on their phones
will scream at them more than people paying a bunch of money to use a modem.

The push is always to the lowest cost. I’m sure, however, that lots of business
people would pay higher monthly rates for a service that actually worked.

Dr Greg Low

1300SQLSQL (1300 775 775) office | +61 419201410 mobile│ +61 3 8676 4913 fax

SQL Down Under | Web:  <http://www.sqldownunder.com/> www.sqldownunder.com