Hi David,

The one that’s always fascinated me is the disappearance of simulation
languages.

In the 80’s I remember looking at Simula 68, and being amazed at what it
offered. For something written in 68, having concepts like classes, and
instances of classes, etc. was all pretty awesome. There were later versions of
it as well.

The idea was that if you wanted to model, say, people coming to a counter to be
processed, you’d define classes for each actor involved. (They didn’t call them
actors). Then, the bit that I thought was magic, is that wherever you had a
decision to be made (i.e. mostly there just an IF type of statement) in the
code in each actor’s class, you specified not only the logic for the IF, but
the odds of going in either direction.

Then you started it up, and just sat back and watched what happened. I thought
that was gold, and certainly for someone doing that back in 68.

And I think about how hard it would be for me to just build that today, using
current tools. So I’ve always wondered why they disappeared.

Dr Greg Low

1300SQLSQL (1300 775 775) office | +61 419201410 mobile
SQL Down Under | Web: https://sqldownunder.com<https://sqldownunder.com/> |