From: Greg Keogh <gfke...@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, 29 June 2022 11:21 AM
To: ozDotNet <ozdotnet@ozdotnet.com>
Cc: David Burstin <david.burs...@gmail.com>; David Kean
<david.k...@microsoft.com>; Dr Greg Low <g...@sqldownunder.com>
Subject: Re: It's that time of year - F#

Mind you, there have been many interesting languages over the years. And their
fate has not always seemed logical.

I think a year ago I said something like ... I was excited about F# when it
first came out, but never got to write any production software using it.
Whenever I sat down to write something serious I got bogged down in choices and
syntax details and "bridging" over to other C# libraries to do the heavy
lifting. There were lots of other irritations like long searches for good
samples, less tooling, less (and bewildering) documentation, smaller community,
lack of T4 templates, etc. If I were writing lots of algorithmic code then F#
would be a superior choice and all the "bridging" would be pushed to the edges,
but lots of typical LOB coding is best done in C#.

C# has evolved so far now that it must be the best hybrid language in popular
use by a long shot, and its functional features are deflating F#'s functional
fame. The downside is that C# is accumulating so many features that I can't
remember them all, so I'm thankful when Visual Studio light bulbs appear and
remind me to replace my force-of-habit clumsy code. I hope they ease off on new
C# features in the future, I don't want it to turn into C++ 20/23 or
PL/I<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PL/I> (the language that was going to solve
every problem in the world).

Cheers, Greg K

P.S. What happened to VB.NET<http://VB.NET>? No sarcasm, it just seems to have
dropped out of articles and announcements.