> Mind you, there have been many interesting languages over the years. And
> their fate has not always seemed logical.

I think a year ago I said something like ... I was excited about F# when it
first came out, but never got to write any production software using it.
Whenever I sat down to write something serious I got bogged down in choices
and syntax details and "bridging" over to other C# libraries to do the
heavy lifting. There were lots of other irritations like long searches for
good samples, less tooling, less (and bewildering) documentation, smaller
community, lack of T4 templates, etc. If I were writing lots of algorithmic
code then F# would be a superior choice and all the "bridging" would be
pushed to the edges, but lots of typical LOB coding is best done in C#.

C# has evolved so far now that it must be the best hybrid language in
popular use by a long shot, and its functional features are deflating F#'s
functional fame. The downside is that C# is accumulating so many features
that I can't remember them all, so I'm thankful when Visual Studio light
bulbs appear and remind me to replace my force-of-habit clumsy code. I hope
they ease off on new C# features in the future, I don't want it to turn
into C++ 20/23 or PL/I <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PL/I> (the language
that was going to solve every problem in the world).

Cheers, *Greg K*

P.S. What happened to VB.NET? No sarcasm, it just seems to have dropped out
of articles and announcements.