Hi,

As you say it will always depend on the hospital policy. However, I imagine the best way to gain an independent answer might be to review the evidence - "A guide to effective evidence in pregnancy & childbirth" (Enkin et al) may be helpful, though it may also be slightly outdated. Alternatively, go to the Cochrane database on-line.Then at least you've got the evidence to change the hospital policy (you've got to have goals!!)

Best wishes.