The D has a few more features and shares the viewfinder with the *ist DS/DS2 models, but the image quality it produces is identical to the image quality produced by all of them, including the DL model. DL bodies are available for under $500 new. The DS through DL2 are all a little faster on capture than the D.

If I were "on the fence" and wanted to buy something to test the water/handle some short-term needs, I'd go for the newer, less expensive body and reserve more money in the fund for when the higher- spec replacement for the D model comes out.

The only futures related difference to me is the kind of storage cards you need. The D takes CF cards, all the others take SD cards. If you buy a D and buy several CF cards, that works fine BUT if the next high-end body from Pentax takes only SD cards, you'll need to re- buy storage cards when you need them. If you buy any of the others and a complement of SD cards, and Pentax fits the new high-end model with CF card slot again, you can re-use the SD cards in the CF slot by means of an adapter. (I do that now ... use SD cards in my Canon, Minolta and Sony cameras that take CF using an adapter.)

I hope these thoughts are a help.

Godfrey