Now that Macworld is over, I can buy my Mac. I'm going to get a Mac
Pro, and I'm trying to figure out the configuration. I want to be able
to run PhotoShop, Lightroom, and a bunch of other applications without
any performance problems. Chances are slim that I will delve into
video editing or anything like that, although I suppose anything is
possible. I checked on DPreview and some people recommended the
following:

Single quad core motherboard
6 to 8 Gb RAM
3 hard drives - one for apps, one for data & one for a scratch disk for PS

My coworkers think this is overkill and say I should start with a
basic machine and add on as necessary. The basic Mac Pro is now
2 quad core MBS (the single quad core is cheaper) with 2GB RAM and a 350GB HD.

What do you guys think? There seems to be some debate over whether
Photoshop can even make use of multiple processors, so I'm fine with
going with the single quad core MB, but I'm not sure about the rest.

Thanks,
Amita