On Jan 17, 2008, at 11:13 PM, David Mann wrote:

> On Jan 18, 2008, at 6:34 PM, Amita Guha wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the help, everyone! I think for now I'm going to go 8-
>> core,
>> single 500GB disk, 2GB RAM and take it from there.
>
> That sounds good.  With Apple gear it tends to work out a _lot_
> cheaper to buy a base system then upgrade yourself, even if you use
> good parts (which you should on a machine like that).

It's a good starting point. I'd immediately add another 2G RAM after
getting it home. Why starve such fast processors with barely enough RAM?

> I'm trying to convince myself to get a Macbook Air but I don't think
> I could put up with a glossy screen.  It's about time the Macbook Pro
> had another update so I might wait & see what happens with those.
> I'd been waiting for them to start using LED backlights but didn't
> realise that happened 6 months ago :)

I'd buy a MacBook Air for mobility communications use, not for photo
processing work. The lack of optical drive, FireWire, single USB
port, etc, lack of RAM upgradability, etc, are all too limiting IMO
for a general purpose system. I'll likely get whatever is the current
MacBook Pro 15" later this year.

Godfrey