On Sep 26, 2009, at 3:55 PM, John Francis wrote:

On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 03:45:14PM -0400, paul stenquist wrote:

On Sep 26, 2009, at 3:40 PM, John Francis wrote:

On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 03:22:18PM -0400, paul stenquist wrote:

Given the caption, the crop obviously presents a different message
than
what was originally recorded in the photo. That is fact.

No it isn't - it's still your interpretation.   What Cheney is doing
remains the same, whether or not the photograph is cropped.  Whether
there are other people in the photograph doesn't alter that.

Personally I think the whole editorial choice to pick a photograph
with Cheney at the carvery to illustrate a story about torture is
a pretty clear case of unacceptable editorialisation - the events
depicted in the photograph have nothing to do with the actual story.

You're correct. The combination of this pic and the caption about
torture is what makes it unethical.

But for me that message is in no way altered by the act of cropping;
at the most it just makes the point a little more obvious.

Right again. But to make the point obvious, the editors had to alter the photo by cropping it. That's why the crop is an unethical alteration. To avoid this kind of situation, many news organizations prohibit crops that
change the content.

So you're saying it would have been OK to run the same caption with the
original photograph, but not with the cropped version?  That editorial
bias is OK as long as it's kept subtle enough for some people to miss it?

I guess that's where we disagree - I think Newsweek crossed the line
when they chose the photograph, not when they cropped out the other
people (who, as Larry has pointed out, weren't relevant to the story).

I can't imagine they would have used the photo without the crop. It wouldn't have made much sense. But you're right to say that the combination of this pic and the story's subject was the most egregious offense. A policy that prohibits crops which change the focus or content of a photo eliminates this kind of shenanigans.

Paul