From: Tim Bray
On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 10:27 PM, Boris Liberman <bori...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have traveled across 7 time zones back and forth twice in the past 4
> weeks. And this time the recovery is rather tiresome. I wonder what
> kind of advice (except, Boris, go visit a doctor) you could offer me
> in dealing with the jet lag.

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Melatonin.  You can buy it in most
vitamin stores and for a lot of people, it seems to help a ton in
getting a fairly uninterrupted night's sleep before your body has had
time to adust to the new zone.  Which has the effect of speeding up
the adjustment.

It tends to produce weird and intense dreams.

It works for me.  Not for my wife; the dreams are hairy enough to wake
her up, scared.

I suppose giving up alcohol and caffeine might help too, but who wants
to do that?
 -Tim

If you're not lactose intolerant, try a glass of warm milk.

Melatonin is one of the "active ingredients" in warm milk, along with tryptophan. It's not concentrated, so if you react intensely to it, that might be a better way to get the benefit with fewer side effects. Much lower dose than from a supplement.

I think it's actually a combination of the melatonin, tryptophan and the relaxing effect of the warmth, because it seems more effective than is accountable for from the dosage.

Alcohol and caffeine dehydrate you. The point of the no alcohol proscription is to warn you not to count on alcohol to re-hydrate.

Drink additional water to offset the dehydrating effect of alcohol or caffeine.

A small amount of red wine can actually help relax you to enable you to sleep.