> Chris,
> The ball is smaller and lighter than a cricket ball (I believe).
> The 'bowler' is allowed to bend his elbow and pitch with a whip of his
> arm.
> Speeds of 90 to 105 miles per hour are typically achieved.
> At those speeds, the ball curves based on catching the stiched seams
> in the wind.
> Where it moves is dependant on how the pitcher holds the ball as he
> delivers it.
> At those speeds, the ball is a deadly weapon should you be hit in the
> head (without a helmit).
> Regards,  Bob S.

those speeds are comparable with cricket bowling speeds. Bowlers also move
the bowl on the same principles, and indeed batsmen do wear helmets for the
same reasons, yet they also manage to hit the ball sometimes. The wicket is
22 yards long, which is slightly longer than the 20 yards from the pitcher's
mound to where the hitter cowers. It's quite possible that the difference in
distance is what matters.

< http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjkBNxKZOE8&feature=related>
< http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rybPvBa3Oc>

Wearing body armour (other than pads and a box) and helmets in cricket is a
relatively recent innovation - it was unheard of before the late 1970s when
Lillee & Thomson started bowling bouncers for Australia at phenomenal speeds
and stout-hearted Englishmen starting getting hurt. Even at school it could
be frightening. One of the seniors who used to bowl fast at me went on to
play professionally for his county. It was bloody scary seeing him galloping
down on you, and I don't think I ever actually hit anything he bowled at me,
other than by defensive fluke.

On the other hand, not all bowlers are fast. There's a lot of subtlety in
bowling, maybe in pitching too, I don't know. But I like to see a spinner
like Shane Warne, who bamboozled the batsmen rather than intimidated them.