Chris,
The ball is smaller and lighter than a cricket ball (I believe).
The 'bowler' is allowed to bend his elbow and pitch with a whip of his arm.
Speeds of 90 to 105 miles per hour are typically achieved.
At those speeds, the ball curves based on catching the stiched seams
in the wind.
Where it moves is dependant on how the pitcher holds the ball as he delivers it.
At those speeds, the ball is a deadly weapon should you be hit in the
head (without a helmit).
Regards,  Bob S.