On 11-06-23 2:56 PM, Larry Colen wrote:
On Jun 23, 2011, at 11:03 AM, Christine Aguila wrote:

I don't test, but I think my DA* 50-135mm and  the FA 50mm f 1.4 might rank at
the top, but I have to say, I'm happy with the quality of all my lenses.
Cheers, Christine

A lens that seems conspicuously absent from this discussion is the 55/1.4.  For
that matter, I hardly ever see the lens mentioned at all. Does anyone even own
one?  How does it compare with the P-FA 50/1.4?

I have one, and there are at least three other PDMLers with them as well.

It's become my workhorse lens. I've been doing portrait shooting (outdoor corporate headshots this morning) and for that it has the right combo of lightness (beats the DA* 50-135 for that), speed (1.4 vs 2.8) and that "portrait lens pleasant softness" attributed to the classic 85mm Pentax glass.

I also use it as my default carry. I'm going to some sort of local arts "media mashup" tonight and I'll have it on the K20D.

It's very very sharp, but I can't give you a comparison as I've never owned the FA 50. I have an S-M-C Tak 50/1.4, but I rarely use it anymore; it's too much trouble.

As for the whole glass sharpness comparison thing, I have to agree with the "who cares" folks. All my Pentax glass is sharp enough for what I use it for, even the original kit lenses I got with the K100D. I have a small collection of lenses, all picked for specific purposes and all see good use.

-bmw