I haven't tried the 20-40, much as I'd like to, but I think your
choice comes down to whether you can put up with the additional size
and weight of the 16-50 — it's wider at the wide end and longer at the
long end and faster beyond 20mm. As a working tool that makes it the
clear choice for someone who has to choose between these two lenses...
*unless* the size/weight factor is important. I suppose the 20-40
could possibly be better optically than the 16-50 but I can't imagine
there's enough of a difference to get worked up about: The 16-50 is
one of the best lenses I've ever used.

Downsides of the 16-50 are the more "plasticky" feel of the
construction (though mine's been kicked around extensively for years
without a hiccup, so I don't see any durability issue) and the larger
77mm filter size.

--
Mark Roberts - Photography & Multimedia
www.robertstech.com