I’ve had the DA*s 16-50, 50-135, and 60-250 since shortly after their
respective introductions. Never an issue with SDM.

I have the 20-40 ltd. If I carry the 12-24 and the 16-50, the two together take
way too much room in any of my camera bags. So the 20-40 has become my
preferred travel lens if/when I am also taking the 12-24. I haven’t noticed
that I have lost anything in terms of image quality when using the 20-40 in
lieu of the 16-50. Obviously I lose one or more stops, a bit of reach on the
long end, and a bit of width on the wide end. But I gain a more compact kit. I
think I still have a slight preference for the 16-50, but that is probably due
to the sentimental attachment as much as anything else.

As has been recommended already, and if your budget can take it, buy both. See
which one works best for you under your shooting conditions and then sell the
other one. Consider any loss on the transaction to be a “short term rental”
expense. Or, as a variation on the theme, see if you can find an actual rental
place that has the 20-40, try it out for a weekend or two. You already know the
16-50...

stan