Steve,

I might be wrong, but to set up an iCloud e-mail account you have to own
(use?) one of the internet-connected Apple devices.
An assumption that all people have them might not be true.
E.g. in my family, the only Apple-made device is an iPod-nano (Gen. 2 or
3?) that is used as a compact source of music for my little daughter.

I don't hate Apple devices, I don't even have any...
(... except for a tiny iPod-nano [Gen. 3] that was given as a gift at
my wife's previous work.)

Actually, I came close to having an Apple ID when I bought iphones for
my brother. The moron (aka "personal Apple consultant") who did the
sales over the phone has enabled their e-mail spam to be delivered to
the e-mail account that was used to receive the receipt for the
purchase. Everybody I spoke to at the Apple support told me that they
cannot disable it, and the only way to do that is to actually activate
the Apple online account (from the phone [that I don't have]) or
possibly on the web) and to change the e-mail preferences buried in it.

Instead, I set it so that, all those messages from Apple are bounced
to the person with the title "Apple Senior iOS Technical Support"
who told me that. Apple support need to enjoy "Apple experience".

To be fair, in general, I think Apple provides a good service for the
average "mass customer", and that's why they are praised and loved.
If your needs are different from their vision, you may have
 many problems with that. I am anything but the "standard" user.

Igor

Thu Jun 12 01:42:44 EDT 2014

<..>