Zos Xavius wrote:
So what do you do when your LR catalog hits over 100k? You just keep
adding? I'm at the point where I want to just delete everything and
pare it all down to just portfolio worthy stuff. I have months worth
of shots to sort and edit and quite frankly I'm really not looking
forward to sorting through 100,000 pictures either. Some flagged, some
not. It seems like whenever I start purging I delete something I
wanted by accident, so I've been really reluctant to delete things but
the lack of hard drive space is cramping my style right now hard.
Yeah, I could just buy another drive, but for every drive I buy, I
have to buy a 2nd so I at the very least have some redundancy.

I have two primary catalogs. One is the "everything" catalog which has every photo that I've taken. Yes, it's over 100k frames. Giving credit where it's due, I think I got this idea from Godfrey.

The catalog that I spend most of my time in is my "working" catalog. It has my newer work, plus older work that I've been fine tuning, printing etc. Every so often I export all of my recently modified files from working into a xfer catalog, then import that into the everything catalog. Once or twice a year, I'll delete all of the older "meh" photos from working, and occasionally I'll delete anything under four stars that is over a certain age since I processed it.

I don't tend to delete the raw files from the everything catalog (unless they are rated 1 star, no redeeming value) because every so often I need to find photos of someone who passed away and my "not quite good enough to put on the web" might be one of the best photos there is of someone.

--
Larry Colen  l...@red4est.com (postbox on min4est)