on 2014-09-22 15:23 Larry Colen wrote
(unless they are rated 1 star, no redeeming value)

pardon me for a philosophical detour — are stars a measure of goodness, or is it a 1-5 scale of really bad, somewhat bad, neutral, somewhat good, really good?

since they are stars, like one gives to school children or to generals, i instinctively think one star means "somewhat good", and that's how i use it for rating my own photos (no star means neutral and bad stuff gets the X); but internet usage seems to be against me — a "one star review" means awful stuff

not that end-users generally have a choice about the symbol used, but for the developers there's a semantic implication for design choices; if it doesn't mean "good", why use stars?