Sorry Henk, I sent that to you off list. I'm starting to despise Thunderbird.

On 4/9/2018 9:02 AM, Henk Terhell wrote:

You may be right as to pentax decisions, but for ff there is now by pentax a 50, a 77, and a 100 (macro) but nothing at all in the wide angle prime range below 35.

Fair points, and one can use the 77 and 100 to justify a delay in an 85mm release. Granted it's perhaps harder to justify a delay in a wide compared to a 50, but remember that camera testers such as DPReview use the standard lens (50mm in this case) to test camera output. In this climate of everything must be perfect or it's crap, it makes sense to have an excellent standard, if for no other reason than to keep the measurbators happy. If you want an excellent wide angle, the 15-30 is a really good lens, and about as fast as the primes in that range likely will be, or at least need to be. If you want a really good fast standard, it simply doesn't exist from Pentax right now. The 50/2.8 macro is excellent but not fast, the FA50/1.4 is fast but not excellent, the 55/1.4 is fast and excellent, but doesn't cover the format.

By the way, I use my 50/2.8 macro a lot but can't recall I used it wide open. I now use my 50/1.4 only rarely in a theater.

Macro lenses tend to not be used wide open. It's the nature of the beast.

bill