I am using a fairly extensive Paul C Buff kit, John. I have four 640
watt-seconds Einsteins. I have a bunch of PCB modifiers including the
5' strips, a 5' silver parabolic (PLM), beauty dish, reflectors, barn
doors, and grids. I also have a Vagabond battery inverter so I can go
on location for a few hours if I need to. Also useful for firing a
strobe from outside through a window to mimic sunlight in a room.

I trigger, control, and meter the whole shebang with the Cyber
Commander and CyberSync receivers. I can meter my lights individually,
in groups or all together then remotely adjust power levels also
individually or groups/all no matter if they are twelve feet up in an
umbrella on a boom. It's way better than climbing a ladder or dropping
the boom down to make adjustments.

The light meter is builtin to the Cyber Commander. It's the niftiest
setup around and AFAICT unique to Buff.

The rental studio I work from is a Paul C Buff shop, very handily.
They have a ton of modifiers that I don't, like 4x8' softboxes, 7'
silver umbrella, 5' octas, more barn doors and gels, etc. And more
lights. Second last shoot I needed five lights so I used my four and
rented one.

If you want to start small I would recommend you get one of their
CyberBees. LED modelling lamp also works for video. Very
cost-effective. Modifiers can be sourced on eBay if you really want to
save money. Anything that fits Balcar or Alien Bees will work.

BTW, I now and then use my gear at home in the family room as a
makeshift studio for headshots and portraits. You don't need to get
fancy to have a "studio". One light, a hunk of 5' wide seamless taped
to the wall, a DIY reflector (foamcore or styofoam insulation from the
big box hardware store). My local studio gives me seamless paper when
the roll hits 12 feet left because it's no use to him then. (Needs to
be enough to create a sweep.)

--
-bmw