From: PDML <pdml-boun...@pdml.net> On Behalf Of Larry Colen
Sent: Thursday, 9 August 2018 7:01 PM
To: Pentax-Discuss List <pdml@pdml.net>
Subject: Automotive fun

I've peeved in passing about my recent car problems. In particular, the mystery
water loss on my
Subaru.  I finally gave up and ordered the $300 worth of parts to do the
headgasket replacement that
I tried to save money on when I put the motor in the car.

Monday night I had the heads off, found evidence of blowby into the cooling
jacket which explained
both the water loss and the lack of other typical blown headgasket symptoms.  I
was all set to put
the new headgasket in yesterday morning when someone commented that I really
ought to take the heads
into the machine shop to be checked out.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/sets/72157672026815098

Yesterday morning, I toss the heads in my van, fill the gas tank and the van
won't start.
Eventually I buy about $).25 worth of gas, pour a tiny bit down the throttle
body, the van starts
up, runs fine and I head into Santa Cruz. I get about another two miles further
on, and the van
breaks down for real.

This morning I realize that the registration and smog are due on the van. I
paid the registration
online to avoid late fees, kind of hard to smog a vehicle that won't start.

The problem with the van is probably the fuel pump. $200 for the part, in the
gas tank. The full 35
gallon fuel tank that has to be removed to get to the fuel pump. I could pay my
mechanic to do the
job, but that's another $200 that I don't have, particularly since I can't get
to work without a
running vehicle.

The heads are back on the Subie, though not torqued down. If nothing else goes
wrong, it should be
running tomorrow afternoon sometime. I won't bore you with the story of the
dumb ass mistake I made
yesterday that cost me something like four hours. On the bright side, I'm now
pretty damned good at
assembling Subaru cylinder heads.

I understand that things come up, and we each face a series of crisis in our
lives.  I'd greatly
appreciate it, however, if the Universe let me finish with on crisis before it
throws the next one
at me.

In other news, it seems that Mom has flipped her shit and now thinks that
Debbi, the friend who is
taking care of her and pretty much giving her a place to live so she doesn't
have to be in a home,
is trying to kill her.

--
Larry Colen           l...@red4est.com          http://red4est.com/lrc