From: PDML <pdml-boun...@pdml.net> On Behalf Of John Sessoms
Sent: Saturday, 11 August 2018 3:23 AM
To: pdml@pdml.net
Subject: Re: Automotive fun

The Escort was a great economy car, but if it ever overheated enough to pin the
gauge, you were
looking at a new engine. Aluminum cylinder block warped. The dealer advised me
it would be cheaper
to replace the engine than to try to repair it.

Plus that Escort had a plastic radiator that could "leak" bits into the new
engine to block coolant
flow, causing the new engine to fail as well.

YMMV, but that's how *my* Escort wagon died.

On 8/10/2018 00:02, John Coyle wrote:
> That's a terrible tale of woe, Larry - you have my entire sympathy!
> On a similar note, in 1975 I changed the head gasket on my 1969
> Escort, using original parts from the local distributor.  All seemed
> to go well, but then, 60 miles into a two-week planned holiday
> visiting several places in the UK, the temperature gauge hit the stop,
> steam issued from under the bonnet, and when I popped the lid, the
> engine looked very, very hot! It took us hours to get home, topping
> the radiator up every twenty miles: when we did eventually get there, I took
> the head off again
and found that the new gasket had only had the water channels punched out on
one side, so all four
cylinders were getting no proper coolant flow!
> Needless to say, I had a few cross words with the supplier.
>
> Hope you get yours fixed, too,
>

> John in Brisbane
>
> John

the motor in the car.

> Monday night I had the heads off, found evidence of blowby into the
> cooling jacket which explained both the water loss and the lack of
> other typical blown headgasket symptoms.  I was all set to put the new
> headgasket in yesterday morning when someone commented that I really ought to
> take the heads into
the machine shop to be checked out.

> https://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/sets/72157672026815098
>
> Yesterday morning, I toss the heads in my van, fill the gas tank and the van
> won't start.
> Eventually I buy about $).25 worth of gas, pour a tiny bit down the
> throttle body, the van starts up, runs fine and I head into Santa
> Cruz. I get about another two miles further on, and the van breaks down for
> real.
>
> This morning I realize that the registration and smog are due on the
> van. I paid the registration online to avoid late fees, kind of hard to smog
> a vehicle that won't
start.

> The problem with the van is probably the fuel pump. $200 for the part,
> in the gas tank. The full 35 gallon fuel tank that has to be removed
> to get to the fuel pump. I could pay my mechanic to do the job, but
> that's another $200 that I don't have, particularly since I can't get to work
> without a running
vehicle.

> The heads are back on the Subie, though not torqued down. If nothing
> else goes wrong, it should be running tomorrow afternoon sometime. I
> won't bore you with the story of the dumb ass mistake I made yesterday
> that cost me something like four hours. On the bright side, I'm now pretty
> damned good at
assembling Subaru cylinder heads.