I understand his concern.
When out of focus, the screen is still too clear, and the scene is not
broken up enough.
Ideally, the viewing screen would break up into fragments sooner,
making the out-of-focus area quite evident...

That's why I prefer a split-image center circle, and a microprism
collar outside that.
If I have a subject without any edges I can split, the microprism helps.

Plain ground glass is lost on my eyes. I can't readily find the center
easily, by focusing back and forth for the best and sharpest image.
It's always 'best guess' which is not exactly encouraging.

keith whaley