Kees, Matt, Cathy, Gary F., list,

Kees, first I want to thank you for your warm, generous, and wholly
unexpected endorsement of my moderating of peirce-l. Perhaps you'd gotten a
sense along the way that a good part of my work happens off-list as well as
on. In any case, I agree with you that the list has been very active since
the start of the seminar such that I find that what I consider to be one of
my primary duties as list moderator, namely, reading all posts, has proved
extremely time consuming recently. On the other hand, I'm delighted by the
extent of interest shown in the seminar as evidenced by the high volume of
postings, and I would encourage all, but especially those who have not yet
participated in the seminar, to do so.

I also agree with Gary F. that you got "to the heart" of the relationship
between feeling and esthetics" in this post, so I'd like to reflect on
Matt's *other* question and your response to it. Matt wrote, and you
commented:

*MF: "If the esthetic ideal is "that which is objectively admirable without
any ulterior reason", "without any reason for being admirable beyond its
inherent character," since we have no outside standard to judge this
admirability by how can we even recognize it so to deliberately aim our
actions at it?"*

*CdW: I think the way to go about addressing this question is to go back to
what I said above: that we cannot derive the subsequent sciences from the
sciences they are grounded in. Just as phaneroscopy cannot tell us what
esthetics will be like, esthetics cannot tell us what ethics will be like.
It befalls to the science of ethics to try to answer this question, and it
does so by introducing such outside standards; they do not somehow evolve
from esthetics but are alien to it.*

In his message in response to yours Gary writes:

*GF: Esthetics is just the science that ethics has to appeal to
for its idea of "good", so that logic can have an ethical grounding for its
normative judgment of reasoning. We might say that just as phaneroscopy
observes the phaneron and asks, "What are its indecomposable elements?",
esthetics looks at the phaneron and asks, "What could possibly be good
about it (or about any ingredient of it)?"*

To reiterate the salient point: phanersocopy asks "What are the phaneron's
indecomposable elements" and theoretical esthetics asks, "What good--*for
science*--is there in these indecomposable elements."

I purposefully emphasized "for science" as this is central to a question
Cathy asked me earlier this week pertaining to the relations of the three
normative sciences to each other. She quoted me:

*GR: "...arriving at the summum bonum for philosophical science is itself a
deliberate and self-controlled process leading to a particular kind of
habit formation; and that as "a deliberate, or self-controlled habit is
precisely a belief," a belief in the reasonable in itself can bridge the
gap between phenomenology and the (other) normative sciences, especially
logic as semiotic." (emphasis added to original post)*

And a short while later she concluded her post by commenting on a remark I
made near the close of my post she was responding to:

*CL: I'm looking forward to hearing more about how you think the three
sciences might work together and even 'self-regulate' when you get the
chance.*

So, finally I'll try to bring together the several key ideas continued in
the above quotations in an abduction regarding the relationship of the
three normative sciences to each. I have tended to take Peirce at his word
when he remarked that the divisions of his classification of the sciences
are almost all trichotomies and, I would add, I see most, if not all,
in *genuine
*trichotomic relation as well. This seems to me to be the case here.

It seems to me that theoretical esthetics is not seeking the "good in
itself" *simply*, but the good *for cenoscopic science*. If the three
normative sciences are in genuine triadic relation, while, as Kees wrote,
*"** we cannot derive the subsequent sciences from the sciences they are
grounded in"* (in the sense of their principles), there remains the
possibility of vectorial movement through the three, so that in a sense the
idea of "a deliberate, or self-controlled" process leading to the belief in
an esthetic summum bonum of "the reasonable in itself," is in a sense, if
not derived from at least a gift of *logica utens*, and provides here one
example of the consequence of these three sciences acting upon each other *in
scientific practice*.

Best,

Gary R.

*Gary Richmond*