Ben, I think this is a very nice point about aesthetics consisting in the
broadening out and refining of what has its roots in simple reactive
judgments of taste such as 'chocolate ice-cream is better than vanilla',
and cannot be severed from those capacities in this human life.

At the end of the post you write:

Insofar as logical necessity is a kind of logicality, it does make one
wonder what in Peirce's view is the predominant mode of apprehension of
this necessity. That is, is such necessity (along with possibility, etc.) a
kind of quality of feeling, as he seems himself to wonder in "Prolegomena,"
or is it something else?

I continue to think that the answer here is 'diagrammatic', and it would be
helpful for us to look at this if we want to get a full picture of the
epistemology of logic in Peirce's philosophical system. (If anyone is
interested, I've explored this idea in some detail here:
http://hdl.handle.net/10289/3523)

Cheers, Cathy