Stefan,

You miss Peirce's main point, it seems to me, in taking up his definition of
esthetics, and then moving on to beauty AS IF CSP took esthetics AS the science
of beauty and the beautiful.

It was Kant who took esthetics as the study of the beautiful. CSP was highly critical of this kind of stand.
In academic esthetics the Kantian view dominates. With CSP it leads nowhere

The definition you take up: esthetics as the science of the admirable in
itself, I take to be one of CSP's numerous working hypotheses. As something to
start with and mold after experimenting with it.

The idea that CSP held and cherished was not new. The famous poet John Keats (1795-1821)
expressed the idea in his poem: "Ode to a Grecian Urn":

"Beauty is truth, truth beauty, - that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know."

This is how Keats ends his poem.- The poem is well worth reading as a whole

Esp. note this:

" Heard melodies are sweet, but those unheard
 Are sweeter; therefore, ye, soft pipes, play on;
 Not to the sensual ear, but, more endeared,
Pipe to the spirit ditties of no tone: (...)"
You say you cannot tell Matt, what beauty is. In that you join with CSP.
Neither could he!

CSP did not take as his starting point the differences between esthetics and
ethics. He took the similarities and resemblances as his starting point. - In
my view, it is only after these primary questions are given good-enough
(preliminary) answers, questions about differences might have a good-enough
Ground to continue.

Kirsti
Stefan Berwing [stefan.berw...@semiotikon.de] kirjoitti:
Matt,

thanks for the links! They made me dive into sound on youtube...

Peirce defines esthetics as the science of the admirable in itself. Hmmm, what is admirable in itself? There are things of which i would say they are admirable in itself but do others? What would my neighbors say about a piece of the Einstürzende Neubauten (most of them are in their 70ies)? I believe most of them would say its terrible noise. Or just take a look into Ecos History of Beauty?! I can't tell you what beauty is, all i know is that history tells us it is changing. Even in my own biography the feeling of it changes.

You used the stone garden and Birtwistle's stone as examples and then you go on with the (d)evolution from law to chance. You used music as an example to introduce order and chance. So lets expand this example and look at serial, stochastic and statistical music. I can see beauty in many of the products of these composition techniques. Also these techniques can be expanded to the arrangement of colors, forms etc. So something like a serial, stochastical or statistical esthetics sems to be possible or thinkable.

But is something like serial, stochastic or statistical ethics possible? What makes the good and the beautiful different? Isn't there a difference between a "natural" devolution into chance and someone choosing deliberatly to push the "red button"?

You see i'm avoiding answers by asking counterquestions ;)

Best
Stefan