But logic is semiotics? And semiosis is a process of relations and therefore
quite a lot self-organizing through an evolution of meaning?

                 Søren

-----Oprindelig meddelelse-----
Fra: Gary Richmond [mailto:richmon...@lagcc.cuny.edu]
Sendt: 1. juni 2014 19:07
Til: Peirce-L@list.iupui.edu; jeffrey.down...@nau.edu
Emne: RE: SV: [PEIRCE-L] De Waal seminar chapter 9, section on Mind, self, and
person

Jeff, Søren, Charles  list,

I agree with your succinct analysis of this matter of the evolution of the self
through self-control, Jeff, and especially your very well-stated conclusion
that "there is much to be said for trying to avoid importing assumptions into
the normative sciences that will tend to bias our inquiry." This point has been
made any number of times on the list over the years--for recent example, by Ben
Udell in certain posts related to Peirce's Classification of the Sciences--but
it bears repeating. However, I'm currently on vacation so I won't say more just
now.

Best,

Gary

Gary Richmond
Philosophy and Critical Thinking
Communication Studies
LaGuardia College of the City University of New York E202-O
718 482-5700

*** *** *** ***
>>> Jeffrey Brian Downard  06/01/14 10:51 AM >>>
Søren, Charles and list,

The argument Peirce gives about the logical conception of the self in "Question
Concerning Certain Faculties" is about the development of the self.  In his
later works, Peirce makes it clear that the example of a child developing a
logical conception of self is meant to help us explore what is requisite for
the evolution of the self and the related capacities for self control more
generally. (CP, 7.381-4)

The story we might tell in the special sciences of physics, chemistry, biology
and psychology about the development of self-organizing and autopoietic systems
shouldn't be used in a normative theory of logic as a basis for developing our
logical hypotheses.  In time, we'll want to reconcile the account of the self
developed in our logical theory with the accounts given in the special
sciences, but we should be wary of getting the cart before the horse.  (CP,
7.581)

We could, of course, disagree with Peirce on this point, and there are many who
do.  For my part, however, I think there is much to be said for trying to avoid
importing assumptions into the normative sciences that will tend to bias our
inquiry.

--Jeff

Jeff Downard
Associate Professor